Some of My Work

Created with flickr badge.

Thursday 24 March 2016

Inspiration of the Week - Francis Alÿs

Francis Alÿs is a Belgian contemporary artist currently based in Mexico.


The work that I am going to be discussing is his piece titled "Sometimes Making Something Leads to Nothing" where the artist moved a block of ice along the streets of Mexico City.


It took over nine hours for Francis Alÿs to do this until the ice had melted completely.


I find this piece really interesting as the idea seems to me that the artist is trying to make the point that all of the time and effort that he has put into this work has been for nothing. 


One of the points that I want to make with my work that no matter how hard we try we will all eventually be forgotten, so everything we do will be for nothing, sort of the point that I take from this piece. 


For my next project I also want to follow route/ maps whilst leaving a trail of marks to decompose and one of my thoughts on how to do this was to use ice as it melts naturally and will pretty much vanish without doing much harm to the environment. 


In all I find this piece to be quite different and more thought provoking than most work that I have seen previously, and I think it was good for me to see another artist explore the idea of making something temporary and also going on site with the project. 




NB - all photographs here have been taken from the artist's site:

http://francisalys.com/
http://francisalys.com/sometimes-making-something-leads-to-nothing/

I do not own any of the pictures on this post.


Until next time
byyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Róisín -x

No comments:

Post a Comment