Some of My Work

Created with flickr badge.

Thursday 17 March 2016

Inspiration of the Week - Richard Prince

Richard Prince is a photographer and painter whose "New Portraits" exhibition I am going to be talking about.

All of these so called 'new portraits' have been taken from instagram and include some of the tags, likes and comments that appear below the photo.
These portraits offer an interesting insight into the person in the portrait themselves and also those liking and commenting on the photo.


What I like most about this installation is the way these portraits are displayed as usually these images would be seen on a small screen and normally only exist digitally. These photographs seem to be huge and take over their surrounding environment.


In my work I want to look at how people try to be noticed in general and online and I also wanted to explore the idea of the 'selfie'. I think that this works explores how people appear online and how this digital format is becoming one of the most popular forms of media and portraiture, and straying away from the more traditional methods.




NB - all photographs here have been taken from the artist's site:

http://www.richardprince.com/
http://www.richardprince.com/exhibitions/new-portraits_1/

I do not own any of the pictures on this post.


Until next time
byyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Róisín -x

No comments:

Post a Comment